How Yoga cures my Type-A Personality!
I have recently started a new job - I have gone back to teaching in the afternoons. NOT YOGA TEACHING ... but teaching Grade 2! I was a public school teacher for years and have taught kindergarten, grade one and grade 3 and for this new job, I'm teaching Grade 2 french immersion students their English subjects (math, English reading and writing, science and visual arts). I wasn't planning on going back but the universe had other plans for me :) I was called and asked to interview for this job a few days before school started and 5 minutes after getting home from the interview, I received a call back asking me to take the job. Sooooo I did! As usual, I threw myself right into my work - I stayed up WAYYYYYY too late preparing, and did not take breaks to eat, rest or get proper sleep. Such is my compulsive nature when I am allowing my type-A personality to take over. I spent the ENTIRE long weekend getting ready. I felt frustrated that my classroom would not be organized in time, stressed that I would not have everything just perfectly planned for my curriculum planning and I caught myself being very hard on myself thinking that I wouldn't be good enough because I didn't have the time to get prepared.
And then I remembered MY YOGA.
And this to me is the beauty of all of my practice, my trainings and my readings on Yoga.... this realization of all that I have learned and am now able to use when I am in moments such as these...the TOOLS OF YOGA.
1. I recognized what I was doing. Falling into my old patterns of overworking, pushing myself too hard and setting impossible standards for myself. This is the yoga - AWARENESS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENT. Recognizing what I am doing and why - I am pushing myself to hard because I want to be good at what I do so that I will prove that I am worthy and good and loveable and successful.
which leads to ....
2. COMPASSION! I am able to now recognize what is happening and have COMPASSION for myself. I understand WHY I am doing this and I give myself permission to not be perfect. To not have everything perfectly planned and organized and ready. I recognize that I have not had enough time to plan and that it is OK for things not to be perfect. I am doing the best that I can with the time I have.
3. KNOWING MY LIMITS & SETTING BOUNDARIES - Yoga is about being aware of your physical and emotional limits - tuning in to your body and your breath and your mind...and having the wisdom to know when to push and when to ease off. I recognized that I was overworking, staying up too late, not eating properly and not taking time for exercise and yoga and rest, relaxation and fun. I realized this and recommitted myself to taking care of me by taking breaks, limiting my work hours, eating properly and making time for my play (yoga, time with friends, playing with my kids, etc.).
4. BALANCE - My yoga classes often include balancing postures - tree pose, dancer's pose, crow pose... Just as we practice balancing on the mat, we must bring this into our lives by balancing work with play, wakefulness with rest, effort with surrender.... I am recognizing when I need to stop working to spend some time playing bingo with my daughter or hanging out with my son. Yes I have soooo much work to do.... but I recognize the importance of balance. Yoga has taught me that the easiest way to balance is to breathe, relax, and not push too hard. I balance effort with surrender. I work when I have allotted time to work and I surrender to the fact that I cannot finish everything in one day and still maintain a healthy balance.
So that's what is going on with me...
How about YOU?!
What' s going on with you right now? Where in your life could you benefit from YOGA? Perhaps you have some physical stuff going on (illness, injury, aches, pain...) or maybe you are dealing with some emotional stress? If you are looking for your own TOOLS to keep you in alignment, I would love to share what I have learned about yoga, meditation and pranayama (breath work) to provide you with the means to recognize when you are out of alignment and to help get yourself back to health and wellness.
I have updated my website with NEW TIME SLOTS now available! I have morning appointments on Mondays and Wednesdays (9:25-10:25 and 10:30-11:30 at my location in Clarkson, Mississauga or via SKYPE). It is easy to see WHEN I'M AVAILABLE and to reserve your spot ONLINE. You can even reserve recurring appointments so that you don't have to worry about losing out on your regularly scheduled time.
TOP 5 REASONS YOU SHOULD BOOK YOUR PRIVATE YOGA SESSION RIGHT NOW:
5. GET IN SHAPE!
4. MENTAL HEALTH & BALANCE
3. STRENGTHENS IMMUNITY
2. ENCOURAGES HEALTHY BEHAVIOURS
1. YOU NEED & DESERVE TO
TAKE CARE OF YOU!!
Too often we do this - we compromise our sleep, our fitness, our health because we are so busy caring for others through work or family but the truth is we can and must take care of ourselves!
Many clients come to me in times of crisis - they have been injured or diagnosed with a serious illness that has forced them to take their personal health seriously. Most of the time, they just want to know when they can get back to work and back to taking care of those that depend on them.
This is a huge, life change for them to be unable to work, or sleep or function normally and they just want to return to their "old life".
What they don't realize is that it is often that old lifestyle that has led them to this place! There is an old sioux saying that says, "If you listen to the whispers, you don't have to hear the screams." Our bodies whisper to us - telling us that we are tired with a yawn or that we need to slow down and rest with a sore throat but we keep on pushing - we keep on living our crazy, hectic, lives and we don't take the time to take care of ourselves. So the body speaks louder until eventually it screams at us and literally forces us to STOP with an injury or illness. Most people in these cases just want to get back to work, back to life as quickly as possible.
This is where the most profound, life-changing transformation will begin!
If you have any questions or would like some more information about any of my current offerings, please give me a shout!